'Cause I may be bad but I'm perfectly good at it
Sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it
Sticks and stones may break my bones,
But chains and whips excite me
Sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it
Sticks and stones may break my bones,
But chains and whips excite me
It is clear to see that Rihanna is open about her sexuality when the song S&M released. It caused a huge debate about Rihanna's openness even though she was very blunt about it.
Or where did he command virginity? . . . He spoke this
to those people who wished to be perfect; and by your leave,
gentle people, I am not one of those people. I will use the
flower of my life in the acts and fruits of marriage.
In this quote from The Wife of Bath's, she questions where the idea of virginity even came from as well as claim herself to be imperfect. Next, her quote about using the flower of her life and fruits of marriage could easily mean she will use her sexuality for her benefits and she will use her fruits of marriage hence her multiple marriage and sex partners.
These two quotes are from two total different time periods, but both have the same concept of freedom within their sexuality. Rihanna mentions the fact that she "doesn't care" just like how the Wife of Bath basically does too when she says she is not perfect. By saying she's not perfect, she's giving herself the excuse to be sexual and flirtatious.
However, even years after The Wife of Bath, the norms still haven't been set. Rihanna's sexual lyrics had people sitting uneasy, even though the fact of women liking sex has been around for centuries.

No comments:
Post a Comment